Virtual institute of Human Sciences
Norbert Elias is one of the modern classics of the social sciences, for their contributions not only to sociology, but also history and anthropology. Particularly well known is their contributions to the process of civilization. This course will provide you with a comprehensive overview of the German author.
- Title: Introduction to the sociology of Norbert Elias
- Director and professor: Prof. Jesus Romero Moñivas (Complutense University of Madrid and UNED).
- Duration: 4 months
- Method: online (Virtual Institute of Science, Human), with the possibility of some face to face sessions. There will be a basic manual, supplemental reading and more material.
- Requirements: None. Those interested can start the course whenever they want.
- Assessment: exercises review, test and research work final. If some students are in Madrid, you will be able to have any face to face session, and may even expose orally the research work, in an optional way.
- Price: 100 euro (the price includes the shipping of the text book).
- Recipients: anyone interested in issues of sociology, history and social sciences in general. Especially interesting for students and graduates in sociology, history, anthropology, and political science.
- Contact person: Jesus Romero Moñivas ([email protected]). Or you can learn directly in the Virtual Institute of Human Sciences.
1 MONTH. GENERAL PRINCIPLES OF THE SOCIOLOGY OF ELIAS
- Topic 1. Fundamentals ontological
- Topic 2. Foundations of anthropological
- Topic 3. Fundamentals gnoseológicos
- Item 4. Epistemological foundations
2nd MONTH. GENERAL FEATURES OF THE SOCIOLOGY OF ELIAS
- Topic 1. The relations between sociology and philosophy
- Topic 2. Sociology: hunter myths
- Topic 3. The concept of figuration and social interdependence
- Item 4. Historical sociology and methodology eliasiana
3rd MONTH. THEMATIC AXES OF THE SOCIOLOGY OF ELIAS
- Topic 1. The process of civilization
- Topic 2. The problem of freedom and power
- Topic 3. The social communities
- Item 4. Recreation and Sports
4th MONTH. PERIOD OF RESEARCH
The student will choose a topic related to Elias or one of the related themes of the social sciences, and will develop a research paper, with the features that are indicated. The jobs that have substantive inputs will be published in the Electronic Journal of Thought, Economy and Society (REPES) of the Virtual Institute of Human Sciences.