How do I change an ignition pickup coil?
Method 1 of 2: Replacing the ignition pick-up in the vehicle
- Materials Needed.
- Step 1: Disconnect the battery: Remove the negative terminal on the battery.
- Step 2: Remove the distributor cap and rotor.
- Step 3: Remove the ignition pickup coil: Disconnect the electrical wires to the pickup.
How do you test a GM pickup coil?
These are the test steps:
- Disconnect the pick up coil connector at the ignition control module.
- Connect BLACK test lead of the multimeter to one of the female terminals of the connector (using an appropriate test lead).
- Connect RED test lead of multimeter to the other female terminal of the pick up coil connector.
How do you wire a distributor coil?
Connect the positive terminal of the ignition coil to the “On” terminal of the ignition switch. Connect the negative terminal of the ignition coil to the coil terminal of the distributor. Reconnect the negative battery cable to the negative post on the battery.
What happens if you hook up a coil backwards?
To answer the original question, yes it will work if connected backwards but it will not work correctly. The design is for the current to flow in 1 direction and for the circuit break to be on the negative side of the coil. If wired backwards in a points type ignition it will almost act like a flaky condenser.
Does a coil have polarity?
The polarity of the coil should match that of the battery by connecting it so (+) goes to (+) and (-) connects to (-). But don’t worry about which way you install the battery (positive or negative ground) or which way you install the coil (regardless of coil markings) it will automatically adjust itself.
Can an ignition coil be installed upside down?
You won’t have any problem mounting it upside down. The coil on my Adventurer Hemi came from the Factory mounted on it’s side…on the intake of all places. They are completely filled with oil and it doesn’t make any difference how they’re mounted.
Can a Pertronix coil be mounted upside down?
Moisture? Quote: It is recommended to mount the PN 8202, PN 82023 and 8223 (oil filled) coils in an upright position. The High Vibration Coil (epoxy filled), PN 8222, can be mounted in any position due to its epoxy potting compound. I would never mount an oil filled coil upside down.