How do I dispose of old video tapes?
Some independent companies will accept non-recyclable items like VHS tapes to try and salvage useful components. Companies like GreenDisk allow you to send your VHS tapes to them, where they will recover reusable components and recycle the rest. If you can’t recycle them, try upcycling.
Can you put video tapes in the recycle bin?
The outer cases of VHS, Betamax and audio cassette tapes are indeed plastic, and at least theoretically recyclable. But you can’t just chuck the whole thing into a recycling bin. The inner tape is made of a phthalate-laden form of the plastic polyethylene, often sold under the trade name Mylar, which is not recyclable.
What do you do with pre recorded VHS tapes?
How to Recycle, Reuse and Rid Yourself of VHS Tapes
- Thrift Stores. Most thrift stores will accept donations of VHS tapes.
- Green Disk. Green Disk will recycle your old VHS tapes for you.
- Freecycle. Offer your VHS tapes on Freecycle and hope somebody else wants them.
- Make Scarecrows.
- Knit With the Tape.
Should I throw away my cassettes?
Tape cassettes are extremely difficult to dispose of because of the type of plastic that composes the shell. The film should never be thrown away as it has metals that shouldn’t sit in landfills. There isn’t much value in any of the materials of a tape cassette, meaning you will likely have to pay to recycle them.
How do I dispose of old VHS tapes UK 2020?
You may be able to donate them to a local charity shop, but this is getting quite rare now. Please check with the shop before donating as most shops no longer accept videotapes and cassettes. If they don’t sell cassettes (or don’t realise that they are now collectable) they will simply put them in the bin.
Who buys old video cassettes?
Here are some places you can try flogging those old VHS tapes:
- eBay. eBay is the king when it comes to selling unwanted items that you don’t think have a re-sale value.
- Amazon. If your tapes aren’t going to be worth that much from nostalgia alone, Amazon could work for you instead.
- Car Boot Sales.
- VHS Facebook Groups.
Can you sell video cassettes?
Sell your VHS tapes on eBay or a similar online auction store. Half.com, a servie of eBay, specializes in VHS sales. Amazon.com offers similar services, as does Alibris. All of them allow you to make sales with a third-party moderator, to ensure that the buyer pays what he agrees to pay.
How much are Star Wars VHS tapes worth?
Star Wars Trilogy Among the most valuable Star Wars video tapes are the CBS/FOX Original releases, which feature the original movie poster artwork and a red hi-fi sticker. They can earn anywhere between $30 – $100.
What do I do with DVDs now?
FAQs. Where can I sell used DVDs? You can sell used DVDs at local buyback stores such as used bookstores or using a local marketplace app like OfferUp or Facebook Marketplace. Selling DVDs online is possible as you can ship items to buyback vendors or can try getting more cash by finding a buyer on eBay or Amazon.
How can I get rid of DVDs?
How To Get Rid of Old DVDs
- Donate to Others. Donating your old DVDs to others is a great way to get rid of your unwanted disk collection.
- Recycle. Yes, you can recycle your old DVDs!
- Sell. Make some extra cash from your old DVDs by selling them.
- Sell, Recycle & Donate With Zapper.