How do you edit down an essay?
10 Tricks to Reduce Your Word Count in Academic Writing
- Delete “The” You can often omit the word “the” from your text without losing any meaning.
- Erase “That”
- Remove Adverbs and Adjectives.
- Use Shorter Words.
- Trim Wordy Phrases.
- Choose Active Voice.
- Revise Needless Transitions.
- Eliminate Conjunctions.
What does it mean to edit a paragraph?
Editing is a stage of the writing process in which a writer or editor strives to improve a draft by correcting errors and making words and sentences clearer, more precise, and as effective as possible.
Why should you edit your writing?
Editing is surprisingly intuitive for many. As a reader, you know when you read something that makes sense and draws you into a piece of writing; similarly, you know when something doesn’t have quite the same effect. A peer edit should make a paper stronger and improve the skills of both the writer and the editor.
How do you show awkwardness in writing?
But for now, some of those little things to hide embarrassment can be used in writing to replace blushing and stuttering, for example:
- Shifting weight from side to side.
- Picking at skin.
- Hiding your face in your hands.
- Taking steps back.
- Having a defensive pose/stance.
- Crossing arms.
- Playing with your hair.
How do you describe your emotions in writing?
When describing character emotions, be as specific as possible in your word choice and body language. Go through your first draft by yourself or with a writing coach and eliminate phrases or descriptions that feel overused. Make sure readers identify with the protagonist.
How do you express shocks in writing?
Here’s a list of some common expressions to help you express shock and disbelief.
- Shock. I was shocked to hear…
- Disbelief. I just can’t believe…
- Saying how bad something is. It’s so awful.
- The after effects.
How do you express disbelief in English?
Expressing disbelief: You’re kidding! / No kidding! / Are you kidding? You’re joking! / You must be joking! You’re not serious. / Are you serious?
How do you express pleasant surprise?
#3) “This is such a nice surprise, thanks so much for this.” #4) “Unbelievable, I never expected it.” #5) “Wow, this is great, I appreciate this.” #6) “Oh my gosh, this is wild, I didn’t have a clue about this.”
What is a sentence for surprise?
“He had a great surprise for his wife.” “The party was a real surprise to the birthday girl.” “What a pleasant surprise to see you here.” “She had a little surprise for her daughter.”
How do you write Surprise surprise?
Surprise is the correct way to spell the word.
What is a good surprise quote?
Not knowing is the greatest life motivator. So enjoy, endure, survive each moment as it comes to you in its proper sequence — a surprise.” “Life is so full of unpredictable beauty and strange surprises. “[A] pessimist gets nothing but pleasant surprises, an optimist nothing but unpleasant.”
What is the surprise?
1 : to cause to feel wonder or amazement because of being unexpected Her resemblance to her father surprised me. 2 : to come upon without warning The robbers were surprised by police. 3 : to attack without warning : capture by an unexpected attack.
How do you use surprise?
Surprise sentence example
- He likes to surprise people.
- It shouldn’t be any surprise , since that was what suffered when he had been troubled in the past.
- What a surprise ! said he.
- To her surprise , she caught Connie at home.
What is another word for surprise?
What is another word for surprise?
What word rhymes with surprise?
What rhymes with surprise?
- 1 syllable. Prize. Cries. Tries. Rise. Wise. Thighs. Size.
- 2 syllables. Arise. Survive. Surmise. Arrive. Despise. Demise. Disguise.
- 3 syllables. Otherwise. Butterflies. Exercise. Enterprise. Supervise. Memorize. Terrorize.
- 4 syllables. Categorize. Familiarize. Characterize. Militarize. Apologize.
- 5 syllables. Demilitarize.
What rhymes treat?
What word rhymes with eyes?
What rhymes with eyes?
- 1 syllable. Skies. Cries. Tries. Size. Wise.
- 2 syllables. Surprise. Disguise. Demise. Despise. Advice.
- 3 syllables. Recognize. Otherwise. Realize. Sacrifice. Paradise.
- 4 syllables. Apologize. Capitalize. Prioritize. Monopolize. Categorize.
- 5 syllables. Materialize. Revolutionize. Decriminalize.
- 6 syllables. Institutionalize.
What rhymes crying?
ai, aye, bae, bi, bligh, bly, blye, brye, buy, by, bye, cai, chae, chai, chi, chrie, craie, crye, cy, dai, die, dry, drye, dye, eye, fae, fi, fly, flye, frei, fry, frye, fye, gae, guy, heye, heygh, hi, high, hsv-i, hy, hye, i, i., jai, kai, keye, kwai, lai, lcp fy, lie, ly, lye, mai, mei, my, nigh, nye, pae, phi, phy.
Does strive rhyme with life?
What word rhymes with money?