How do you make large elephant toothpaste?
- Measure 1/2 cup of hydrogen peroxide, and carefully pour it into the bottle.
- Add a big squirt of dish soap into the bottle, and swirl gently to mix.
- If you want to make your foam a single color, add a few drops of food coloring directly into the hydrogen peroxide, and swirl the bottle gently to mix.
What causes elephant’s toothpaste to expand so rapidly?
The foam you made in this classic Elephant’s Toothpaste reaction is extra-special because each tiny foam bubble is filled with oxygen. The yeast acted as a catalyst; a catalyst is used to speed up a reaction. Because it did this very fast, it created lots and lots of bubbles.
What is the world record for elephant toothpaste?
How do you make exploding toothpaste?
You only need a few materials to make a foam volcano.
- 1/2 cup of liquid hydrogen peroxide.
- 10 drops of liquid food coloring.
- 1 tablespoon of liquid dish soap.
- 1 packet of dry yeast.
- A 16-ounce plastic soda or water bottle OR a bucket that size.
- A small cup to hold your yeast and at least 3 tablespoons of warm water.
Can you use hair developer for elephant toothpaste?
A tray to place the bottle in to catch the foam (I used an aluminum tray.) ½ cup of 6 percent hydrogen peroxide or 20 volume hair developer. (You can purchase the hair developer from Amazon.com or at Sally Beauty Supply. I used Matrix 20 volume developer.)
Does 12 hydrogen peroxide work for elephant toothpaste?
Take an empty 2 Liter Soda bottle and using caution add 1 cup of 40 Volume (12%) Hydrogen Peroxide using a funnel. Add a few squirts of Dawn Dish Soap . Swirl gently. As with the above experiment, the soap foam is soap foam – no peroxide is left – so it is safe to handle once it has cooled.
Can you use 40 volume developer for elephant toothpaste?
Materials. ½ cup (4 oz) Hydrogen Peroxide- Use 20 volume for classroom experiment and 40 volume for adult demo. Be sure to use clear developer NOT cream.
What chemicals are needed for elephant toothpaste?
Elephant Toothpaste Materials
- 50-100 ml of 30% hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) solution (Note: This hydrogen peroxide solution is much more concentrated than the kind you’d generally purchase at a pharmacy.
- Saturated potassium iodide (KI) solution.
- Liquid dishwashing detergent.
- Food coloring.
- 500 mL graduated cylinder.
What is 40 volume hydrogen peroxide?
40 Volume hydrogen peroxide mean 12% of hydrogen peroxide. For example, 3% hydrogen peroxide is V10 or 10 volume, because it will release 10 times it’s volume in oxygen. One pint of 3% hydrogen peroxide will release 10 pints of oxygen as it breaks down.
How do you make potassium iodide for elephant toothpaste?
To prepare the KI/soap solution, dissolve 5 g of KI in a minimal amount of water in a 50 mL Erlenmeyer flask. Add about 10 mL of dishwashing liquid and swirl to mix. Be careful handling the 30% hydrogen peroxide. Be careful during clean-up, too; there could be a lot of unreacted hydrogen peroxide in the foam.
Do you need potassium iodide for elephant toothpaste?
You can use yeast instead of potassium iodide. Foam is produced more slowly, but you can add a fluorescent dye to this reaction to produce elephant toothpaste that will glow very brightly under a black light. You can color the demonstration and make it into an Elephant Toothpaste Christmas Tree for the holidays.
Can you drink potassium iodide?
Take potassium iodide in a full glass (8 ounces) of water or in fruit juice, milk, or broth to improve the taste and lessen stomach upset. Be sure to drink all of the liquid to get the full dose of medicine.