Which of the following is correct about the humus?
Humus is formed from organic remains through the activity of decomposer microorganisms. Process of formation of humus from raw organic remains is called humification. Humus is quite resistant to microbial action. It is a reservoir of nutrients and is helpful in maintenance of soil moisture as well as aeration.
What is known as humus?
Humus is dark, organic material that forms in soil when plant and animal matter decays. When plants drop leaves, twigs, and other material to the ground, it piles up. The thick brown or black substance that remains after most of the organic litter has decomposed is called humus.
What is humus for Class ninth?
Complete answer: Humus is dark brown organic material that forms when the plants leaves and animal matter decays. When the plant drops leaves, twigs, and other material to the ground it piles up into the ground. Humus denominates the fraction of soil organic matter that is amorphous.
Which soil has low humus content?
Which part of the soil works like a sponge?
Clay and silt particles are the primary mineral components in soils that retain water — these small particles slow the drainage of water and, like a sponge, physically hold water through capillary forces.
What are characteristics of black soil?
What are the characteristics of black soil?
- Clayey texture and are highly fertile.
- Rich in calcium carbonate, magnesium, potash, and lime but poor in nitrogen and phosphorous.
- Highly retentive of moisture, extremely compact and tenacious when wet.
- Contractible and develops deep wide cracks on drying.
What are the types of black soil?
Classification of Black Soil or types of Black Soil
- Shallow Black Soil: Shallow Black Soil this type of soil found with thickness less than 30 cm.
- Medium Black Soil: soil thickness ranges between 30 cm and 100 cm.
- Deep Black Soil: Thickness is more than 1 meter.
What are the main characteristics of black soil and alluvial soil?
They are formed by the deposit of sand and silt. They consists proportions of sand, silt and clay. It contains potash, phosphoric acid and lime. It is deficient in nitrogen.