Why do Scots say Ken?
It means “know” “Ken” shortened from “d’ye ken” – eg “do you know (what I mean)” like the English say “innit” at the end of sentences It’s an English language word meaning ‘Know’ which Scots use particularly in the east of Scotland
Is Kent a Scottish name?
English: habitational name for someone from Kent, an ancient Celtic name The surname is also frequent in Scotland and Ireland In Irrerwick in East Lothian English vassals were settled in the middle of the 12th century and in Meath in Ireland in the 13th century
How popular is the name Kent?
Records indicate that boys in the United States have been named Kent since 1880 The greatest number of people were given this name in 1962, when people in the US were given the name Kent Those people are now 58 years old
How did Kent get its name?
The name Kent derives from the ancient Celtic tribe who inhabited South East England from the Thames to the south coast Their lands included modern Kent plus parts of Surrey, Sussex and Greater London The Roman’s called the people the Cantii or Cantiaci and the county Cantium
Is Kent a town or county?
Kent is a county in South East England and one of the home counties It borders Greater London to the north-west, Surrey to the west and East Sussex to the south-west
What do you call someone from Kent?
Those from the East are known as Men of Kent (or Maids of Kent) and those from the West as Kentish Men (or Kentish Maids)
Is Kent poor?
A coastal town in Kent has been dubbed as one of the most deprived areas of England, a study has found The research has compiled the list of towns that are essentially struggling in with crime rates,economic poor health and unhealthiness
Is Kent nice place to live?
Kent is a great place to live and there are so many reasons to want to move here According to a recent study, in fact, two areas in Kent rank as some of the best places to live in the country – placing fifth and eleventh
Is Kent posh?
Kent is not posh, though pleasant and normal East Anglia in so far as Cambridge and Sandringham are there can be posh but not if the locals speak with a drawl Generally cathedral cities are posh
Is it safe to live in Kent?
How safe is Kent? Overall, the county of Kent ranks 10th in England for safety, with an average score of 77 It is beaten by its neighbouring county, East Sussex, but ranks higher than more rural counties such as Devon, Suffolk and Shropshire Oxfordshire has been identified as the safest county in England
Is Kent beautiful?
With the iconic White Cliffs and easy-on-the-eye seaside enclaves, Kent’s coastline is particularly special but the inland countryside is pretty spectacular too, here you can expect to see miles of gently rolling hills dotted with romantic stately homes, cultivated country estates, fruit-laden orchards, and some of the
What is Kent famous for?
Kent is best known as the ‘Garden of England’, a phrase first coined by Henry VIII It claims to be the oldest county in England and contains some listed buildings Kent is most famous for its oast-houses, having tall conical or pyramidal roofs
Where is the best place to live in Kent?
The best towns in Kent
- Canterbury A market town which is technically a city, Canterbury combines cultural activities and highly rated educational establishments with historic landmarks and nearby nature, making it a hit with families and students alike
- Royal Tunbridge Wells
Whats open in Kent?
What’s Open! Kent’s best outdoor attractions
- Rare Breeds Centre
- Goodnestone Park Gardens
- Bedgebury Pinetum
- Wingham Wildlife Park
- Bodiam Boating Station
- Bewl Water
- Port Lympne Hotel & Reserve and Howletts Wild Animal Park
- Hever Castle
What is open in Kent today?
Outdoor places in Kent remaining open in lockdown including Hever Castle, Leeds Castle and National Trust
- Hever Castle
- National Trust properties in Kent
- Leeds Castle
- Kent Country Parks
- Forest England sites including Bedgebury Pinetum and Jeskyns Community Woodland
- Bewl Water near Lamberhurst
Where should I go in Kent today?
Top 10 things to do in Kent
- Port Lympne Animal Reserve, Ashford
- Hever Castle & Gardens, Edenbridge
- Leeds Castle, Maidstone
- Canterbury Cathedral, Canterbury
- Shepherd Neame Brewery Tours, Faversham
- Spa Valley Railway, Royal Tunbridge Wells
- Historic Dockyard Chatham, Chatham
- Chapel Down Winery, Tenterden
What can you do in Kent for free?
Things to do in Kent for FREE!
- 1) Viking Ship Hugin, Ramsgate
- 2) Biddenden Vineyards, Biddenden
- 4) Museums
- Kent Museum of Freemasonry, Canterbury
- Turner Contemporary, Margate
- The Beany House of Art and Knowledge, Canterbury
- Maidstone Museum and Bentlif Art Gallery, Maidstone
- Spitfire and Hurricane Memorial Museum, Ramsgate
What food is Kent known for?
Here are 8 of Kent’s traditional foods that showcase the “Garden of England”:
- Gypsy Tart
- Canterbury Tart
- Whitstable Oysters
- Folkestone Pudding Pie
- Kentish Rarebit
What is the largest town in Kent?
More interesting facts about Kent
- Maidstone is the largest town in Kent, with a population of people (2011)
- The west Kent town of Royal Tunbridge Wells is one of only four ‘Royal’ towns in Britain
What can you do for free?
To keep yourself entertained and on budget, check out these free or cheap things to do
- Go to a museum, aquarium or zoo Many aquariums, museums and zoos waive admission fees on certain days
- Read a book
- Catch a movie
- Play, or watch, a game
- Visit the farmers market
- Go thrift shopping
- Spend time outdoors
What to do if you have no money?
31 Things To Do When You Have No Money
- Join a contest like a beauty contest or fitness contest
- Baby-sit a child
- Perform in the street
- Join a carnival or any free festivals
- Take a video to put on YouTube
- Sell your old stuff
- Build A Mobile App
- Grab your camera and take photos around
Where can I go with no money?
13 Ways to Have Fun Without Spending Money
- Go on a picnic
- Go to no-cost museum and zoo days
- Give geocaching a try
- Leverage your chamber of commerce
- Take a historical city tour
- Visit a farmers market
- Go camping
- Do a photography challenge
Where can I go to have friends with no money?
gs To Do With Friends Without Spending Much
- Host a video game tournament
- Invite friends over for a spa day
- Potluck dinners are always best with friends
- Do a movie marathon
- Take a trip to the beach
- Go on a walking tour through your town or city
- Play slot machines with friends
- Host a book club
What can I do at night with no money?
Free Fun Things You Can Do at Night
- Enjoy a Free Outdoor Concert Most cities have some venue for free outdoor concerts
- Have a Game Night
- Have a Backyard Camping Experience
- Do a Girls Spa Evening
- Do a Guys Sports Evening
- Movie Night
- Attend (or Host) a Neighborhood Outdoor Movie Event
- Have a Bonfire
How can I survive without money?
How To Live Comfortably Without Money And Survive
- Seek Shelter in a Community Sharing Similar Values
- Offer to Work for Free Lodging
- Head Out Into the Wild
- Build an Earthship or Go Couchsurfing
- Barter for Everything
- Traveling for Free
- Repair Things for Free
- Go Freegan
What do friends do together?
Here are eight things best friends forever do together that’ll never go out of style
- Having Impromptu Movie Nights
- Coffee Dates, Just Because
- Day Drinking During Sunday Brunch
- Window Shopping
- Long Walks To Anywhere
- Talking About The Past
- Checking Off Destinations On Your Travel Bucket List