Why does he choose temperance to be the first and foremost virtue?
Why does Franklin start with temperance? Temperance is the most important virtue because it involves the calmness of the head and prevents acting on temptations. The virtue of order gave Franklin the most difficulty.
What does temperance mean in Ben Franklin’s autobiography?
What does Benjamin Franklin say about temperance?
Eat not to dullness; drink not to elevation. An individual should not overindulge in food or drink. The first virtue essentially set the tone for the rest. Franklin believed that temperance allowed the mind and body to work at an optimal level, making the other virtues possible.
What virtue did Franklin find hardest to master?
He adopted thirteen virtues (temperance, silence, order, resolution, frugality, industry, sincerity, justice, moderation, cleanliness, tranquility, chastity, and humility), and attempted to improve one per week. He argued that the most difficult one for him was order, because his good memory made it unnecessary.
How did Franklin conclude that a speckled ax is the best?
Why does Franklin conclude that “a speckled ax was best”? He concluded that a speckled ax was best because he believed “that a perfect character might be attended with the inconvenience of being envied and hated; and that a benevolent man should allow a few faults in himself, to keep his friends in countenance.”
What was meant by his saying a speckled ax is best?
By the ‘a speckled ax is best’ phrase, Franklin meant that it is better for someone to be seen to be trying to observe morality despite the many impediments than for one to completely give in to evil inclinations.
How can I get back my happy?
17 Ways to Get Back to Being Happy
- Create a happiness training routine. Following a plan can help you prioritize a cheerful outlook on a daily basis.
- Practice BOP in the morning.
- Be of service to others.
- Say affirmations out loud.
- Practice deep breathing.
- Find time for a furry friend.
- Eat lunch without distractions.
- Set a positive password.
What is the meaning of life is unfair?
It basically means sometimes, we think life should always be perfect and fair to us in every way whereas it’s not. “Life is unfair”, “No one can get everything he wanted to get” and “You can’t succeed before you suffer” are some false beliefs that your mind might use as a decoy not to present you with the real fact.
How do you accept that life is unfair?
Here are five things I’ve learned so far on my journey of accepting a life that isn’t fair and never will be.
- Recognize the problem. Right before I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder, I tried to be everything to everyone.
- Do something about it.
- Let others help.
- Take ownership.
- Change what you can and accept the rest.
How do you survive the worst time of your life?
63 Steps to Survive the Worst Moments of Your Life
- Step 1: Slap yourself in the face. Hard, preferably.
- Step 2: Don’t compare your suffering to others.
- Step 3: Identify the feeling.
- Step 4: Don’t repress it.
- Step 5: Go ahead and cry if you need to.
- Step 6: Seriously.
- Step 7: See, doesn’t that feel nice?
- Step 8: Solicit Mark for a free hug.
How can I live my life without money?
Cash-free living: how to survive and thrive without money
- Have a social life for free. Go moneyless.
- Party for free. ‘I think the key requirement is a sense of adventure.
- Travel for free. There are a few key points to remember when hitch-hiking.
- Put on events for free.
- Fixing things for free.
- Free living/free labour.
- Eat for free.
- Fertilise your vegetables for free.
How do you survive suffering?
These are my 5 recipes to survive pain, suffering and adversity, especially when it happens more than once:
- Be present. Feel the pain, but don’t be the pain.
- Find beauty around you. Pictures, smiles, objects.
- Everyone suffers. Yes, it is easy to believe that you are alone.
- Nourish your body.
What if life was fair?
“If life was fair, we’d get treated the way the we treat others and if life was fair, we’d get paid exactly what we are worth.